2017-07-01

050 ~ Happy 150th Birthday Canada!

 I think I was in grade 2 when Canada had its 100th birthday; I still have the medallion (we all received in school) with the logo from that celebration. Here we are, 50 years later and I thought it should be fitting to make something as a tribute to having lived in this beautiful country for all these years. For me, a quilt was the perfect thing to make.
  I made this one with the QAYG method - a wonderful technique I learned a couple of years ago from Alison in this tutorial!!  Thanks Alison!!  The 10 flags represent the 10 provinces Canada had when I was born, also the number of kids in my family.
The fabric for the backing actually found me, and was fitting.
I machine quilted the blocks with echo quilting around the leaves, organic straight lines on the red sides, and did pebbles on the leaves. I like how it turned out.
The label, well it needs no explanation.
I do love our clothes line for displaying quilts (well ok, and for drying clothes)- we have so much natural greenery in our back yard.
And about that medallion I received 50 years ago... this was the logo for that centennial celebration...... wouldn't it make a great quilt?? hm......

No comments:

Post a Comment