2020-08-03

053 ~ A Well Deserved New Ironing Board

Since I've been quilting, I've been lucky enough to have a great ironing board (system).  I've never been a fan of a regular ironing board especially when I need to iron yardage. I'm lucky to have the help of DH who truly supports this hobby of mine.

Well it was time to get an updated ironing board for my sewing room. Sew..... We went to work on the plan. We took a used (indoor) house door the kind that is really light weight, because it's hollow with thin wood sheets on either side, and cut it down to a more manageable size of 48" wide x 56" long. It's perfect! I covered it first with a layer of quilt batting for padding and to smooth out the corners. I fastened the batting on the back with TUCK tape (not duct tape). Then I wrapped it with a layer of "radiantex", which is a quilted, heat resistant fabric, which I also wrapped & fastened to the back with TUCK tape. The final layer is 100% cotton upholstery fabric (almost like a canvas fabric made in England), which also was wrapped & fastened to the back with TUCK tape. This fabric was certainly calling my name, because - well, it has HST's as the pattern right????  Each layer was stretched into place tightly, before it was taped into place. There was no point in trying to staple these layers onto the back, because the door that it's on, is hollow, and wouldn't hold any staples.

TUCK tape (if you don't know what it is, is a thin red clear-ish wide tape, like packing tape and it's durable. I find that if it is put in place, clean and flat the first time, it holds really well. I've been using the ironing board now for over 2 years, and nothing has moved or come apart. The ironing board lives (standing on end) beside my cutting table (built by DH for MY height) and when I need to do a lot of ironing, I pull it out, and place it on my cutting table...... and YAY!!!!  Wonderful-ness !!     <gotta be a word.

Underneath this custom built cutting table is a shelf for storage.  Sweet!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment