2020-08-03

055 ~ Shadow Box & Sheryl

Our friend Sheryl was coming for a visit from B.C.; we are always happy to see her. Well, I had to make a quilt for her right? The last time she'd been here we were in the midst of grape harvesting season, so we put her to work. This time we were "nicer" to her.

I'd been admiring these shadow box quilts for many years, and my stash had no solid coloured fabric to speak of.... well, ok it does have some!!  But sale time came, and I added a better variety to my stash. Sew with those in mind; I set to putting a pattern together for a shadow box quilt for Sheryl. Once the actual pattern was set, it really wasn't a complicated quilt top to make, a lot of repetition sewing, which can be a relaxing time to process life!!  Hahahh  


DH is usually involved in the quilts I make, he's got a better eye for colour placement than I do, that's not to say he makes all the colour decisions, but he's better at it. So generally he's at the design wall, putting things in order.

Then I number each block and stack them up in rows; in this case, to sew the rows together they were vertical rows.

I had an idea for the back. I'd seen this idea on pinterest and loved it. It's not usual for me to have a solid (one fabric) backing. I enjoy puzzling out a pieced backing, but for Sheryl, I knew she would "get" & appreciate this backing.  I used a snippet of EACH of the colours used on the front to "make" the fabric for the elephant. I was truly happy how it turned out.

I didn't want the rest of the backing to outshine the row of elephants, so I pieced together a few greys.

Pleased? Yes I was!!

Pleased with the backing??? Oh Yeah!!.


No comments:

Post a Comment